Summary: Kimbab is a popular Korean picnic food made with rice and various ingredients, rolled in laver(seaweek) and served in bite-size slices.
- 5 roasted sea laver sheets (nori in Japanese)
- 2 eggs
- 1 carrot
- yellow pickled radish
- ham (or sausage)
- 1 cucumber
- sesame oil
- cooked rice
- Whip the eggs gently and pour and spread them on a heated pan.
- When they are cooked, cut them into long thin strips
- Cut carrot and cucumber into long thin strips. Cook carrot strips on the pan with a bit of oil. Soak the cucumber in salt and vinegar water for 20 minutes.
- Cut the ham or sausage into long thin strips and cook them in a pan.
- Cut the yellow radish into long thin strips.
- Add 1T of sesame oil and 2 sprinkles of salt to the rice and mix them well.
- Place one sheet of the sea laver over a bamboo mat. Spread rice thinly to cover 2/3 of the sea laver. (leave 1/3 of the space.) Place all the ingredients (carrot, cucumber, egg, yellow pickled radish..) in the middle of the spread rice.
- Roll the sea laver with the mat firmly. If the laver edge is not sticking on the surface, apply a bit of water to the edge of the sea laver with your finger.
- Brush the roll with the sesame oil.
- With a sharp knife, slice roll into 1/2 inch thick kimbab pieces and serve them.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Korean